Log in

No account? Create an account
Byzantine tax system is byzantine - who knew? - Her Most Regal Majesty, the Queen of Snark
void where prohibited, except by law
Byzantine tax system is byzantine - who knew?
Non top rate tax payers pay NI at 11% on any money they earn over £453 a month.

However, if like me you have two jobs, both employers calculate NI like this.

Thus I appear to pay less NI than someone doing one job that pays the same as both of mine combined.

This seems a little odd to me, but the tax office seem to believe it's true.
5 comments or Leave a comment
ewx From: ewx Date: October 9th, 2008 03:00 pm (UTC) (Link)
crazyscot From: crazyscot Date: October 9th, 2008 03:12 pm (UTC) (Link)
Presumably you're on a regular tax code (123L) for one of them and BR for the other?

NI calculations are odd and byzantine; it'd save an awful lot of hassle if they'd just roll NI into income tax and charge us once by one mechanism. I mean, the money all goes into the Treasury anyway. Whoops, no, can't possibly raise the headline tax rate to 31% even if it means no change to what most people pay in tax...
From: mooism Date: October 9th, 2008 03:32 pm (UTC) (Link)
There are a lot of people aged over 60/65, and they vote.
sesquipedality From: sesquipedality Date: October 9th, 2008 03:32 pm (UTC) (Link)
Actually not. But that's a mistake that I've just had to try to fix. Amusingly my tax is handled by the sinister* Public Department 1, and none of the usual tax office phone numbers work for me.

The reason for this is amusing. One of my employers payroll is handled by the City Council. This lead to me being thoroughly confused when the tax office asked me "Have you ever worked for the government?".

* Actually the guy I spoke to was quite lovely. Maybe all the nice ones get put on government taxes. :)

Edited at 2008-10-09 03:45 pm (UTC)
fractalgeek From: fractalgeek Date: October 9th, 2008 11:58 pm (UTC) (Link)
(I can't "comment", but I can "reply"?)

Under similar circumstances in England, I believe you either persuade the tax office to give you retrospective refunds, or persuade them that your incomes are regular and allow one to adjust their code accordingly
5 comments or Leave a comment